Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Today's Tiny Tanka

Today's Tiny Tanka, I said...

Tanka is a Japanese form of poetry, cousin to the haiku. There are any number of places and sites that will give you the background, different forms, exercises and such....http://www.articlesbase.com/poetry-articles/an-easy-approach-to-write-a-haiku-or-tanka-poem-5633348.html would be one.

My understanding of the lovely Tanka form comes from Susan Carleton (link when I find her latest blog!). She described it as a form that

Uses natural phenomena to illustrate emotions

I've been writing them most days for the past while: a kind of journalling and a creative focus for the day.There's many forms that use a 5-line shape with structures like 5-7-7-5-5, but I've evolved a 9-13-9 form - the Tiny Tanka - or even sometimes a 7-9-7 which is more of a Teeny Tiny Tanka...

I'll be posting  a Tanka most days, and would love it if you, Dear Reader, did too.

So off we go. here's a couple I wrote earlier


28/5/12

Dusk silky grey. Dust settles, roof sighs / Edges blur, day lets go to night, insects creak and whirr / in the low ground. Dog barks at the moon.



11th June:

Those damn clouds keep appearing / Psyche’s delicate shell sunburnt: earth splits, heals dusty / On the horizon, clouds move away. Look.

No comments:

Post a Comment